Book tickets below
Hampshire Unit Driving Experience
Dates and price for 2018 to be confirmed
Approx duration 7 hours
• A safety briefing before the session commences.
• Tour of the locomotive engine room.
• Travel in the cab, driving or as second man, for 20 miles.
• Only six participants per experience.
• Accommodation 'on the cushions' for up to 3 guests to travel with you.
• Opportunities for photographs.
• A certificate as a memento of your experience.
All dates and times are subject to availability.
* Be aged over 18 years.
* Be reasonably fit and in good health - fit enough to climb on and off the unit from ground level unaided.
* Wear old clothing, engine rooms are not the cleanest of places!
* Wear sturdy shoes / boots that protect your feet - trainers are definitely not permitted.
* We can provide overalls on the day. You can bring your own if you wish but please do not wear red or green.
* Not attend the experience under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
For those interested in diesel locomotives, we are able to offer a Diesel Driving Experiences using our DEMU Class 125 'Thumper'.
Starting at 10am at Alton station, you will be in control of the unit along the full length of our steeply graded line.
Under the expert instruction of our highly experienced crew, you will be paired with another participant to take turns as both driver and second man during the day, completing a total of 10 miles in each role.
When not acting as the driver or second man, participants will be required to ride 'on the cushions' with their guests. A lunch is provided for the participant in the West Country Buffet at Alresford station. Guests are welcome to join participants but will need to purchase their own refreshments.
Please note that the Mid Hants Railway reserves the right to reschedule a driving experience if the minimum number of 4 participants booked on a specific day is not reached, or for any other reason.
Guests of participants on this experience are subject to simple insurance indemnity requirements and for safety reasons any children must be over 2 years of age and will remain the responsibility of an accompanying adult at all times.
Guests should be prepared to sign an indemnity form accepting any risk to themselves should an incident occur whilst the train is being driven by a 'learner driver'. Any children will need to be included on the form signed by an accompanying adult.