© National Railway Museum/Science & Society Picture Library
Flying Scotsman Display Day Rover tickets are available to buy on the day throughout half-term.
Fares on the door:
Child (5 - 16 years) £10
Family (2 Adults + 2 Children) £50
Excitement is building at the Watercress Line as it gears up to welcome the record-breaking Flying Scotsman, the most famous steam locomotive in the world, for the first time this February. The locomotive will be in public service for four running days: 14th and 29th February and the 1st, 7th and 8th March 2020.
We are currently planning this exciting visit and all details and updates will appear on our website. Please do not call our office for enquiries as all the current information will be published here.
Tickets must be purchased in advance for a trip behind this iconic locomotive. Tickets are for a round trip only and Flying Scotsman can only be boarded at Alresford Station.
Sit back and relax as you travel in style through the glorious Hampshire countryside, overlooking the South Downs National Park. Travel our ten mile line from Alresford to Alton station, and then return. Feel the thrill as Flying Scotsman conquers the 1 in 60 'over the Alps' climb to the summit at Medstead and Four Marks, in each direction.
During your journey look out for the delightful topiary hedges along the heritage platforms at Ropley and Medstead and Four Marks.
At Alresford Station, our West Country Buffet will be open for hot and cold food and drinks (excluding 14th February) and the gift shop in the Old Goods Shed will be selling fabulous gifts.
If you are heading out to see Flying Scotsman, please remember to follow the rules of the railway and only go where permitted. The railway will be very busy over the visit, with many other trains in operation.
Flying Scotsman can be seen in action safely from our stations and around our stations. Please do not trespass on to the railway or running lines. The safety of all our customers is paramount as well as the running of the trains. Our line side is clearly marked and is fenced off for your safety. Please make this visit safe and an enjoyable for everyone.
- Your journey behind Flying Scotsman will depart and return to and from Alresford Station via feeder trains that will run up and down the line
- Ticket holders only
- No refunds are possible for this event
- This is a ticket holder only event
- Buffets, platforms and toilets will only be accessible to those with a valid train ticket
- All tickets include a feeder service and access to all viewing areas
- Your ticket also includes unlimited travel on other trains running throughout the day
- Alresford Station - Sole use of the public car park (no charge for parking here on these days)
- Ropley Station field (no charge for parking). Follow AA signs. Postcode: SO24 0BL.
There is no alternative parking at Ropley and security will be present to prevent unauthorised parking.
- Medstead & Four Marks Station - There is NO car parking at this station.
- Alton Station - £9.30 weekdays & weekend-days, £3.50 off-peak. Pay with card or over the phone. Please be advised spaces may be limited here. This car park is operated by South Western Railway.
After a £4.2 million refurbishment by Riley & Son (E) Flying Scotsman returned to steam in 2016 and has been a fantastic ambassador for heritage railways and the National Railway Museum ever since - enabling thousands of people across the UK to enjoy this special locomotive.
Don’t miss out on your chance to see Flying Scotsman up close at Mid Hants Railway 'Watercress Line' on this historic visit.