Demand for some services is high so enter a range of dates and the system will show you available services for each day
Approx Duration 3 hours
There is nothing quite like the sound, smell and power of a steam locomotive in full cry!
For the man or woman who has everything, this is an ideal experience package! You donít need to be a steam buff to get an enormous sense of achievement and satisfaction from getting your hands dirty on the footplate.
Watch our short film to find out more about this fantastic experience!
Your experience begins at 9.30am or 1 pm on selected Thursdays at Ropley station with a warm welcome from the duty signalman, a safety briefing, information about the line and signalling. Two participants are then shown to the footplate where full instructions on the driving controls, firing techniques and other locomotive operating requirements are given. This is a light engine (engine only) course. The third participant will spend time with the signalman in the Signal Box where they will learn about signalling operations at Ropley . Once the trip is completed, the roles will be changed to give everybody the experience of driving, firing and signalling.
Simply purchase this gift experience as a voucher valid for 12 months. The recipient then books their experience directly with us for the day of their choice.
Introductory Footplate Experiences are available on selected dates from March - July and September - October.
All dates and times are subject to availability.
Lunch is not included.
* Be aged over 18.
* Be reasonably fit and in good health - fit enough to climb on and off the locomotive from ground level unaided.
* Wear old clothing that fully covers your arms and legs.
* Wear sturdy shoes / boots that protect your feet - trainers are definitely not permitted.
* Wear a pair of overalls for protection - we can provide these on the day. If you bring your own, they must be 100% cotton for safety reasons.
* Not attend the experience under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Please note that the Mid Hants Railway reserves the right to reschedule a driving experience if the minimum number of 2 participants booked on a specific day is not reached, or for any other reason.
Locomotives will be used from the current fleet available and cannot be specified in advance.