Approx Duration 3 hours
There is nothing quite like the sound, smell and power of a steam locomotive in full cry! Thanks to our steeply graded line, 1 in 60 at its steepest, you can drive a steam train in the manner it was designed for.
For the man or woman who has everything, this is an ideal experience package! You don’t need to be a steam buff to get an enormous sense of achievement and satisfaction from getting your hands dirty on the footplate.
Watch our short film to find out more about this fantastic experience!
Your experience begins at 9.30am or 1 pm on selected Thursdays at Alresford station with a warm welcome from your instructor, a safety briefing, information about the line and signalling. You are then shown to the footplate where full instructions on the driving controls, firing techniques and other locomotive operating requirements are given. This is a light engine (engine only) course.
Then, taking turns with the other 2 participants, you will become the driver and fireman! It’s a thrilling experience to treasure.
Simply purchase this gift experience as a voucher valid for 12 months. The recipient then books their experience directly with us for the day of their choice.
Introductory Footplate Experiences are available on selected dates from March - July and September - October.
All dates and times are subject to availability.
Lunch is not included.
* Be aged over 18.
* Be reasonably fit and in good health - fit enough to climb on and off the locomotive from ground level unaided.
* Wear old clothing that fully covers your arms and legs.
* Wear sturdy shoes / boots that protect your feet - trainers are definitely not permitted.
* Wear a pair of overalls for protection - we can provide these on the day. If you bring your own, they must be 100% cotton for safety reasons.
* Not attend the experience under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Please note that the Mid Hants Railway reserves the right to reschedule a driving experience if the minimum number of 2 participants booked on a specific day is not reached, or for any other reason.
Locomotives will be used from the current fleet available and cannot be specified in advance.